Pregnancy can be a time of fear and uncertainty for many women, especially first time mothers. Birth is shrouded in mystery and confusion, and our society fails in providing the education and support that women deserve. Pregnancy should be a time of celebration and excitement. This is the one time in your life when you can assist God with creating a miracle! Let me help you unravel the mystery of birth and show you that it can be beautiful, rewarding, and empowering.
The word “doula” comes from the Greek word for the most important female slave or servant in an ancient Greek household, the woman who probably helped the lady of the house through her childbearing. The word has come to refer to “a woman experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to the mother before, during and just after childbirth”
As your doula,
- I am aware of birth as a key life experience that you will remember all your life.
- I undestand the bodily processes of birth and the emotional needs of a woman throughout labor.
- I support you and your partner in preparing for and carrying out your plans for the birth.
- I will stay by your side from the moment you are called in and throughout the entire labor.
- I will provide emotional support, physical comfort measures, an objective viewpoint and assistance to you in getting the information you need to make a good decision.
- I will facilitate communication between you, your partner and the clinical care providers.
- I percieve my role as one who nurtures and protects your memory of your birth experience.
- I will honor every mother’s birth.